Being acquired by Oracle wasn’t high of thoughts after we joined Oracle’s startup program again in July 2018. On Monday, April 27, Oracle announced the acquisition of my firm Sauce Video. As you may think about, it’s been fairly a journey, and it’s one thing I need to share with different founders.
We joined Oracle’s startup program as a result of we needed a program that will assist us scale our expertise and develop our enterprise. Our video creation platform was in an excellent place to take the following step, the expertise was growing quickly, and we’d taken on our first enterprise clients. So we had been looking out for an accelerator that will swimsuit our targets. However accelerators are a dime a dozen. We needed one thing totally different, particular.
Oracle claimed it was a “unique acceleration” program, one targeted on collaboration and co-innovation. The web site spoke of “reimagining the corporate and startup relationship.”
We had been intrigued and a bit skeptical. Oracle wasn’t as well-known within the startup world, and most startups gravitated to packages like Techstars or corporates like Google or AWS.
So, we joined the Oracle program with excessive hopes, however life like expectations.
This system blew away our expectations. I realise that sounds disingenuous now in mild of our latest information, nevertheless it’s true. Oracle’s program has large upsides for these startups prepared to lean in and totally have interaction, which is precisely what we did.
We collaborated with Oracle’s technical groups to look at our structure, platform efficiency and integration factors. We acquired to journey to occasions with Oracle to showcase our product and communicate on stage, do media interviews and analyst briefings. We engaged with Oracle gross sales groups, in addition to their enterprise clients. We developed key relationships throughout the Oracle for Startups staff. Primarily, we put plenty of power into this system and took full benefit of the assets this expertise large was providing us.
We had been targeted on constructing a greater platform, producing market consciousness, and driving new buyer development. And to try this we wanted the assets and experience of Oracle — from technical to advertising to gross sales.
Our expertise with Oracle for Startups ended with an acquisition. And we’re thrilled with that exit. However our expertise would have been nicely price it regardless. Throughout our time in this system, we grew to be a better, stronger, extra scalable enterprise.
I believe startups having partnerships with corporates like Oracle is basically necessary, and that may solely improve. For us, the Oracle relationship opened doorways, assets, and alternatives in an accelerated time-frame. We’ve seen many startups profit alongside us. Nevertheless it does take time, assets and dedication.
For startups concerned with Oracle’s program, and I extremely suggest it, listed here are six issues I counsel you to be ready for:
- Be sure you and your organization are prepared: Oracle’s program might help with a variety of issues like tech improvement, gross sales development and advertising. Perceive the place your corporation is at and what it must get to the following stage. Timing is necessary, and also you need to get this proper.
- Dedicate assets to this system: You have to be prepared to place within the time, power and folks to work this system. Oracle is a giant place, and could be difficult to navigate. I used to be point-person on the Oracle relationship, collaborating, networking, leveraging assets, and maximising the alternatives provided. The extra effort you set within the extra you’ll get out.
- Be collaborative and versatile: You have to be clear about your targets, however you additionally have to be open-minded and versatile. Collaborate, be taught and iterate your product and enterprise plans. This doesn’t imply rolling over, simply be prepared to pay attention and adapt.
- Lean-in and have interaction: That is key. You have to be prepared to totally lean-in and have interaction. From advertising to occasions to gross sales to PR, we took benefit of each alternative provided even when it was outdoors our consolation zone. You by no means know which dialog, occasion or Zoom name will end in one thing superior.
- Discover the expertise: Oracle Cloud infrastructure is big for high-performance compute wants like analytics, machine studying, or video content material. We moved from AWS to Oracle Cloud after realising the ability of NVIDIA GPUs on Oracle to create and transcode video content material; and Oracle’s give attention to utilising, and contributing to open supply applied sciences like Kubernetes and Istio.
- Get up to your startup and stand out: As I stated earlier, Oracle is huge. However when you arise, be genuine and be assured, individuals will take discover!
We’re the primary startup a part of Oracle for Startups acquired by Oracle. For Sauce, we’ll nonetheless be working intently with Oracle, this time as official Oracle workers. However we’ll even be lively as Ambassadors within the Oracle for Startups program. The Oracle startup program is really a novel program and one we’ll be supporting.
Good luck in your startup journey, no matter program or path you’re taking.